The question should be ‘why wouldn’t you squat?’. I think I was 17 when I started doing squats and I have never looked back! Squats work almost every muscle in your body and are one of the very best compound exercises. In my opinion – no training program is complete without the inclusion of squats.
One of the reasons squats are so effective is because they activate so many different muscle groups, which burn an enormous amount of calories/fat. In this one simple exercise you are improving your posture, your abs, your core strength, all the muscles in your legs and best of all, creating a perfect, perky butt that all us girls want and all the guys love.
If you are serious about really being in good shape, running will not stop your bum from sagging with age or give you the booty you want. You absolutely need to include squats in your routine. So squat properly, go as deep as you can, maintain good form and of course be excited about the results you will see.. and you will see them!
Bad habits are like addictions. The easiest way to break them is by recognizing that they are exactly that – a form of addiction. It is never going to be easy. It will feel uncomfortable and hard but like with anything- time, persistence and positivity will pay off.
That part of you that makes you feel like you ‘need’ something (anything) is the ego. The sensible part of you knows the truth of what you really need. Learn the difference, learn to laugh at the ego and slowly it will give up and fade away.
Want to make that change? Great! Here are the steps:
- Make a decision to change
- Acknowledge the habit/addiction
- Acknowledge that it is going to feel tough in the short-term (for most people it only takes 3 weeks to break a habit!)
- Don’t put yourself in a situation that will make it hard for you to stay on track
- Replace the habit with something else – a healthy/positive option
- If the desire comes at you take 3 deep conscious breaths, recognise that it is the ego and laugh at it. It will go away!
- Set your goals/rewards for when you hit your personal milestones
- Seek support from friends/family
- Do not be too hard on yourself
- Get excited about your new life without this habit holding you back!